More Windows Live Mail 2012 confusion

telboy1938

New Email
I know it maybe myself that has gone about ridding myself of junk mail but if I tell you my method you will be able to put me right. I get a load of junk anf for weeks now I have done the following:- As it arrives in the Deleted Items box I Right-Hand-Click / Scroll to "Junk Mail" / Add Sender Domain to Blocked Sender List / OK. My blocked senders list looks to have hundreds stored in it but still I get more flooding in. Is there a way to just get mail coming in from addresses I have in my Contacts? Please help. Thanks Tel:hammer:

foggy

Valued Member
I don't know if WLM (the desktop client) has any good junk mail settings. So, you may have to set things up with your actual mail service. Who do you use: Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, AOL, etc.?

Many providers will allow junk mail settings to be changed in the webmail preferences. You'll have to go into your service's settings/preferences pages and see if there is a way to alter the way junk mail is deal with. Most often there are three options (sometimes with additional minor variations): allow all mail to inbox, put known/suspected junk mail in the junk/spam folder, and only allow email from contacts to be in inbox. In this last category you may be able to send all non-contacts mail to the junk folder or even have it deleted permanently without your seeing it (which could be dangerous, esp. if your contact is using an alternate address to try to communicate with you).

telboy1938

New Email
Hi, I have set up my Options as follows. I have five to choose from and I have selected what I think to be the strongest, they are:- (1) Receive Safe List Only : Only allow Mail or Domain Names on my Safe List to the Inbox. (2) Permanently delete suspected Junk email instead of moving it to the Junk folder. (3) Report Junk to Microsoft.
Surely Blocked Senders should mean selected senders should be BLOCKED. I use three different providers i.e Sky (which amalgamated with Yahoo) + Gmail + Hotmail. Looking through many web pages I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft have forgotten that Windows Live Mail 2012 is in existence. Thanks for help. Tel

foggy

Valued Member
Tel,

It sounds to me that you have done just about everything you can in WLM2012 to accomplish your purpose. The only other thing is to check on the Safe Senders tab (Options > Safety Options > Safe Senders) and see if the box to trust email from Contacts is selected. (I imagine it is by default.) From that point on all new incoming mail from contacts and other specifically selected 'safe senders' should make it to your inbox, while all other mail should be discarded -- unless WLM only discards mail specifically designated as a 'blocked' address while leaving other general 'non-contact' email in the junk folder. ?? If that's the case, it can certainly be a pain to add each spamming (or other unwanted) address to the blocked sender list!

If all these settings changes to WLM don't work as you wish, perhaps the thing to do is try to have mail from one or two of your email accounts forwarded or POP'd to the one that has the best webmail options for junk filtering. That account (Gmail?) can perhaps manage the mail so that only mail from contacts or other approved senders will be in the inbox. Then WLM can download everything in the inbox of that one account. You would have to tell WLM not to receive email from the other two accounts. Naturally, if you go this route, you wouldn't really have to use the desktop client if you didn't want to, since the one web account would function the same way (as a one-stop location for email management). But if you prefer to continue using the offline client, that's your choice! :)

telboy1938

New Email
Thanks Foggy, I appreciate your advice and will certainly try all your lines mentioned. I do checked my "Blocked" box to see that the domain addresses I mark for blockage are there, but still they dont cease arriving. The forwarding of mail from my default a/c "Sky/Yahoo to the Gmail box sounds interesting (I will have to google how to do it). Once again, my thanks. Tel