Mail.com - Error "Email could not be sent" almost every time I reply. Help?

spidereggs

New Email
This is regarding a new Mail.com account - [the free version]. Not always, but almost every time I reply to an email I receive in my Inbox, I get a pop-up message: "Email could not be sent." It also happens when I compose and attempt to send out a new message. It's very frustrating.

This is a new account. Some emails go out. All the test emails I send myself have come in. But I cannot reply.
I typically use Outlook 2010 and Cox is my ISP. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Larry

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Are you trying to send using the cox outgoing mail servers or the mail.com outgoing mail servers? It's doesn't surprise me that Cox might have blocked outgoing email From: mail.com, both because it would have been abused by spammers back in the day, and it's also against the mail.com SPF policy. Mail.com requires that mail send as their email address be sent through their servers, either the webmail or the smtp servers provided. Here are the settings - What are the pop and imap servers for mail.com ?

spidereggs

New Email
Are you trying to send using the cox outgoing mail servers or the mail.com outgoing mail servers? It's doesn't surprise me that Cox might have blocked outgoing email From: mail.com, both because it would have been abused by spammers back in the day, and it's also against the mail.com SPF policy. Mail.com requires that mail send as their email address be sent through their servers, either the webmail or the smtp servers provided. Here are the settings - What are the pop and imap servers for mail.com ?

Hi Popovich,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If I make the changes described in the link you provided, will that then create havoc with my regular Cox email accounts? Will this become a matter of switching back and forth between settings when using both accounts? Or, are the settings independent of each other, and would only apply to emails from their respected servers? Thanks again, Larry