Is online email reliable?

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by hawthorn, Jul 18, 2009.

1. hawthorn

hawthorn New Email

Hi

I have a number of pop based email accounts, but I want a new seperate one, as its a small project Im setting up.

Are web based email accounts such as Yahoo, Hotmail, GMX etc totally reliable? ie is there any possibility of a crash or disaster where I would lose all my emails?

What is the best one to choose?

:thanks:

h

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hello,

There are no guarantees with the free email service providers.

That said, I use Gmail the most. You can connect to Gmail with a pop3 program, and they also have great spam filtering!

By using an email program on your computer you can also include your email in your computer backups.

-Raymond

3. hawthorn

hawthorn New Email

Thanks.

So if I used gmail or hotmail I could use a pop3 program and download them to the pc. Altermatively if Im using gmail etc, can the stored messages ie that I want to keep, be backed up anywhere, say, weekly?

h

4. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Manual backups you can do yourself for free.

If you require automated backups Gmail Keeper is a popular option.

If you can live without the automation then Gmail Backup is free backup software that you can use to backup your Gmail account.

-Raymond

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.