Is Microsoft forcing its Hotmail users to switch to Outlook?

SATAWILL

New Email
The article linked to here Outlook switch leaves Hotmail users open to cyber-squatting | News | PC Pro prompts me to wonder whether the avalanche of problems people seem to have with their Hotmail accounts at the moment isn't afterall an engineered and willed move from Microsoft to force its hotmail users to shed off their old emails, as it were, and still remail faithfull and sign up with them under outlook.com - instead of moving on to some other free email service, as I defintely will do if I don't get my hotmail account (or at least all my old emails) back.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hotmail users can request their username at Outlook.com when they "upgrade" (migrate is probably the better term?) their service?

SATAWILL

New Email
Hotmail users can request their username at Outlook.com when they "upgrade" (migrate is probably the better term?) their service?

But not their old emails apparently, which, if you come down to it, boils down to an act of plucking!

SATAWILL

New Email
But they can't import their old emails, can they?
Which to me is a catastrophe! Why, an inbox to many people nowadays is de facto their memory/memoir/logbook/album/lifeline/file desk all in one - you cannot just rob people of that and expect them to smile at it!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
My emails from Hotmail automatically appeared hen I got switched from Hotmail to Outlook.com

foggy

Valued Member
Satawill,

You may be confusing signing up for a new outlook.com account with renaming one's present hotmail/live account to an 'outlook.com' account.

Renaming you do in your own account's settings. If your present username is taken you choose a different username. And when you sign in using the new outlook address everything in your mail storage (folders and emails) should be there without a problem.

SATAWILL

New Email
Which i cannot do - i.e. Renaming my account - since i cannot access it since it has been blocked since someone is allegedly using it (see my other post: want my hotmail account black) - it is a vicious circle and a wild wild world!

foggy

Valued Member
Sometimes if you post your problem at one of the blogs (Outlook or InsideWindows) -- in the comments under some appropriate blogpost -- you can get one of those guys to help out with your account troubles, bypassing the not-always-helpful Hotmail forums.

Maybe go to the "Upgrade from Hotmail to Outlook" post at the Outlook blog and ask there. Tell them you'd like to be able to upgrade but can't access your account, etc. Maybe you'll get some assistance.

Btw, you will have to register first. :rolleyes:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I need to correct a previous comment. My account wasn't really "upgraded". I have the new Outlook.com interface. Email to my Hotmail address goes to my inbox, and email to my outlook address gets filtered to a separate folder. My inbox still gets more than a dozen emails per week, and the outlook address is nice a clean (even with the same username). I guess I'm slightly surprised spammier mailing lists didn't double up and started sending to username@outlook.com when they know a username@hotmail.com, even if it's not guaranteed to be the same contact.