IP address I don't recognise in my login history!

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by vic951, May 17, 2011.

1. vic951

vic951 New Email

Hi,
    Have just received spam from myself, so as a precaution I went into my security settings in Yahoo! and changed passwords and security questions/answers. However, when I went into my login history I noticed that just 2 mins earlier the following IP address had accessed my account: 66.196.87.131. Located in Sunnyvale, CA, USA (I'm in the UK so its not me!)
    Please can someone reassure me that this is a Yahoo server?
    If not its a **** hacker! :mad:

Hope someone can help
    Vic

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hi Vic,

That IP address has matching resolution for the DNS name r19.member.re3.yahoo.com.

It says Sunnyvale because that's what the Yahoo domain registration says :

Registrant:
    Domain Administrator
    Yahoo! Inc.
    701 First Avenue
    Sunnyvale CA 94089
    US
    domainadmin@yahoo-inc.com +1.4083493300 Fax: +1.4083493301

What do the full Yahoo email headers say? It's a common spammer trick to send a spam To: and From: the recipients email address. The spam was likely not sent from your email account. The login history is odd, so I agree changing your password and other account reset information was a good idea.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

3. vic951

vic951 New Email

Hi Popowich,
    Thanks for the welcome and your answer to my question. I was in a state of panic when I saw a different IP address. Thanks for looking it up for me though. Feel a bit silly that it was their Head Office ! :eek:

great forum. Will come here again next time I'm panicking about something :)

I didn't open the email to look at the full sender address, I trashed it as soon as I saw it.

Vic
    :thanks:

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.