Imap/pop

Adgebirden

New Email
When trying to convert an existing pop account to imap on iPhone & iPad I am unable to select imap account. I select add account, other, add the details of the account, but am unable then to select imap or pop. It just sets it up automatically as pop..which I don't want! Any suggestions?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
After adding the details for the acocunt, the next screen that asks for the incoming mail server host name also has buttons at the top to let you select IMAP vs. POP

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Adgebirden

New Email
Thanks for the reply...but that's just it...the next thing to happen is 4ticks next to each section of the account to indicate approved & then it returns me to the summary of all accounts page having successfully added a POP account! There is no option to choose imap or pop or exchange for that matter...as other instructions seem to suggest! Help!?!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
What service provider are you trying to add?

Apparently Apple is trying to build more logic into newer devices and automatically chooses POP3 when it thinks that IMAP is not available, or possibly when the ISP prefers phones be set to POP instead of IMAP.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The workaround is mistyping your email address on the previous screen, and then fixing it while selecting IMAP on the incoming mail server screen.