How to troubleshoot Outlook errors and web site connection problems

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Outlook and Hotmail members routinely report problems with accounts loading to a blank page, redirecting to a blank page, or not being able to open their emails. There are several troubleshooting steps that you can take to resolve this problem. Some solutions are based on fixing a problem reaching or logging into Outlook.com, while others are aimed at fixing a spyware or virus problem on your computer. Please try all of the steps below, in order, until one of them works for you. As time passes the usefulness of the steps below will change. When one of the solutions below fixes a problem for you please reply and let us know which step helped you. This helps the next person with a problem by allowing us to keep the most helpful troubleshooting steps at the top of the list. Thank you.

1. Login to the secure Hotmail login page at https://outlook.com
  2. Login from another computer to http://account.live.com

1. Clear your web browser cache.
  2. Make sure cookies are enabled and clear your cookies.
  3. Update your Adobe Flash player.
  4. Update the software on your compute with FileHippo.
  5. Force a page refresh. After logging in and landing on the blank page, hold down the control key on your keyboard and while holding it down press the F5 key on your keyboard.
  6. Internet Explorer Users: Restore the default web browser security levels.
  7. Download the latest version of Windows Live Essentials
  8. If you use Internet Explorer try using Mozilla Firefox instead. Download and install the latest Firefox and then use Firefox to go to Hotmail.com
  9. Check your Anti-Virus software and make sure it is up to date. If you do not have an anti-virus program I recommend installing Avast personal edition.
  10. Update and run your anti-spyware program. If you do not have a program that checks your computer for spyware I recommend installing, updating, and running a full scan of your computer with Spybot S&D or Malwarebytes.
  11. Reset your web browser privacy and security settings to the defaults.
  12. If you use Internet Explorer, download and reinstall the latest version of Internet Explorer. After upgrading / reinstalling Internet Explorer, try going to Hotmail.com and see if you can login.
  13. Instead of using your ISP's DNS servers use the OpenDNS servers.
  14. Instead of using the webmail interface try reading your email with Windows Live Mail
  15. Sometimes Outlook.com is the problem, try waiting an hour and try to login again.
  16. You probably tried already, but if not, try rebooting your computer.

If you are having a different problem that is not related to logging in please create a new thread in our Outlook Support Forum.

Rejane

New Email
Sorry all this is too complicated for me and anyway will not solve the problem. Another friend of mine has the same problem and has been looking for the solution for more than a week now. The only solution would be to come back to the Hotmail we had two weeks ago as the problem started with this new Hotmail ; I mean the enclosure in the titles instead of the enclosure just under the subject.
Thanks for trying to help anyway.