How to switch back to the old Gmail

Discussion in 'Gmail' started by popowich, Nov 6, 2011.

1. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hello,

If you are in the new Gmail and want to switch back to the old look :

Gmail switch old look.JPG

Click the Gear icon and then select temporarily switch back to the old look.

2. foggy

foggy Valued Member

I'm glad to know this, since I don't really like the new interface. Not yet, anyway. They may have gone overboard in trying to simplify things. 1. The default theme is a bit too bland. (I feel like I may as well be viewing it on a black-and-white monitor!). 2. The HD themes are nice, but they can overpower one's viewing of the message list. I like a nice background, but I don't want distractions. 3. The formatting bar on the compose screen has no color ! I count on color to help me 'see' the buttons (text color, text highlighting, insert images, etc.) These are all aesthetic complaints, granted. But for now, I'll stick with the old interface.

3. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

I agree it's all a little blah.

On a decent size monitor I had to go to compact density to keep all the information where I can see it.

Gmail Compact.JPG

At the comfortable and cozy there were some big spaces between content on my screen.

I don't want my email to look like Facebook messages.

4. foggy

foggy Valued Member

My monitor (a 17" Acer, NOT widescreen) doesn't even 'register' any difference between the display settings ! (Gmail said that might happen for some.)

Also, your example above reminded me: I also don't like the icon-only approach to the various functions, esp. with them all being basic gray. Old Gmail has text buttons ("delete," "archive," etc.) which I prefer.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.