How to read Gmail With Any Mail Program

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
In addition to having a top notch web interface Gmail is one of the few free webmail providers that allow you to access your mail via POP or IMAP for free.

POP3 (aka POP) and IMAP are two different mail protocols which allow a mail programs like Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Eudora, Mozilla Thunderbird, and pretty much any other mail program to access your mail and allow you to work with your mail in the program. The advantage of this is you're able to access and download you email all in one place and possibly have a backup of your Gmail. More on this later.

IMAP is probably the best way to use Gmail in your client as all changes are synced to the server. Basically this means if you delete an email in Outlook it will be deleted on Gmail's Website too. If you move a message in Outlook it will be moved in Gmail mail too. I'll outline the using IMAP first then explain POP and outline that. For the purposes of this tutorial I'll be showing screenshots of Outlook. Upon request I can add screen shots of other programs.

First things Enable IMAP in your Gmail account. You do this by logging into Gmail, Clicking Settings in the top right hand corner > Clicking on the Forward and POP/IMAP Settings > Enable IMAP > Save Changes. Here is a screen shot for you:

gmailimap.JPG

Next we'll fire up Outlook and create a new account:

outlook1.jpg

Enter your name, full Gmail address with the @gmail.com at the end, your password, and check the "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" box

outlook2.jpg

Here your full name and email address should already by entered from the last screen. Select account type: "IMAP" from the drop down type imap.gmail.com for incoming mail server and smtp.gmail.com for your outgoing mail server.

outlook4.jpg

Now click more settings and select the outgoing mail tab. Tick the 'my outgoing server (smtp) requires authentication and the radio button saying 'use same settings as my incoming mail server'

outlook3.jpg

Okay this is the last step in the same window as above select the advanced tab, and select SSL from the Use the following type of encrypted connection drop down. Press okay and your done.

Now you will see a set of folders in your separate from your main Outlook inbox. These folders always stay in sync with Gmail so it make take a good 10 minutes to sync the first time especially if you have lots of mail.

Next up explaining POP access and instructions on how to set it up.

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
To read Gmail from an iPhone:
  • tap Settings
  • tap Mail, Contacts, Calendar
  • tap Add Account
  • tap Add Gmail
It seems easier and less problematic to setup that trying to create an IMAP account.

Last edited:

trishe

New Email
How do I send smtp.gmail.com when I get an error Ox8CCC0003 message on Port 465

Last edited by a moderator:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Are you having a problem sending all email or are you only having a problem sending picture attachments?

:welcome: to Email Questions!

trishe

New Email
I'm having problems sending email with pictures especially those which I want to forward from facebook. I get an error message referring to port 465:hammer:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Here are the IMAP and SMTP settings for Gmail:
  • Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - Requires SSL
    • imap.gmail.com
    • Port: 993
    • Requires SSL:Yes
  • Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires TLS
    • smtp.gmail.com
    • Port: 465 or 587
    • Requires SSL: Yes