how to filter spam with thunderbird

Discussion in 'Mozilla Thunderbird' started by THERESA, Nov 30, 2012.

1. THERESA

THERESA Customer Service Staff Member

I have been overrun with spam in my thunderbird email. One of my friends suggested that I download spam fighter. I just finished the install and right now I am having it go through and clean my inbox. I am REALLY BAD about deleting old emails. I have over 7 thousand emails in my inbox right now!! So far it has gone through about 5,000 and identified almost 300 as spam.

I HATE thunderbirds spam "filtering" it is HORRIBLE. I can mark things as spam, but they still show up in my inbox. They show up with a little spam sign next to them, but they still make their way to my inbox. In my opinion, if I have marked something as spam, it should go directly to a spam folder or trash.

Hopefully when I mark emails as spam they will stop showing up in my inbox. We shall see. I am kind of excited to see if this works because my inbox was beginning to get about 15 spam emails a day!!

I will update again after I have used it for awhile and will let you know if it is a good program to use.

2. THERESA

THERESA Customer Service Staff Member

Ugg I spoke too soon! It was working like a charm and then my thunderbird had an upgrade and poof!! My spamfighter disappeared because it wasn't compatible with the upgrade. They did have a suggestion if that happens after an upgrade but it didn't work for me. I had to contact support to see if there is a solution or if they will be releasing an upgrade soon.

Here are the suggestions they gave that you could try:

After the latest update, my SPAMfighter has disappeared?

Please try this:
    * Close your Email Client such as Outlook/Express/Windows Mail/Thunderbird
    * Go to Start -> All Programs -> Fighters -> SPAMfighter
    * click on Repair
    * Make sure that the "Repair" options are checked and then click "Next" and then "Install".
    After the installation has finished you can open your mail program again.

3. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.