How do I save gmail email to my own desktop

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by dailyb, Jan 26, 2016.

1. dailyb

dailyb New Email

I have saved nearly all of my gmail for about 10 years. I want to save gmail to my own desktop. I have used pop3 in Thunderbird and it would work well except that I have exceeded the 4 gig limit. I have tried to sign on to mozilla help forums, but I guess they have decided that they don't want traditional help forums because a sign on is almost impossible. In any event, as a security measure, I want my email on my desktop. If anyone has any ideas they will be appreciated.

JD

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hi JD,

Try Aid4Mail, it's a nice windows based solution to save a copy of your Gmail to your desktop using IMAP.

3. dailyb

dailyb New Email

I don't have Outlook. Will Aid4Mail save gmail in a format compatible with Thunderbird or some other email clients?

JD

4. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Yes, a few screens deep into the configuration after you have selected IMAP as your source and provided those settings, skip past the filters if needed, then tell it to save the email in Thunderbird, or a generic formal such as mbox or eml.

5. dailyb

dailyb New Email

Hi Pop,

Finally figured out how to do this from Thunderbird. Before I tried to copy files from windows explorer tree to new files I created in Thunderbird local files. Didn't work. However, figured out to create new files under local folders and then move the files from within Thunderbird from the full inbox to the newly created file in local folders. Thanks for your help and good suggestions.

popowich likes this.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.