Hotmail accounts not receiving emails from my cpanel email setup

David Morneau

New Email
I have setup an email account on Godaddy's Cpanel (Shared hosting)
Emails are sending to every provider except Hotmail and Outlook.
I was thinking I was blacklisted but I have not found my IP on any publicly available blacklist
I have sent a ticket to Hotmail for a blacklist removal (just in case) one week ago, but did not get any response yet.

The problem is :
emails are being sent as "successful", but are not received by the receiver (not even in the spam box)
NOTE ; We tried labeling the sender (me) as a "trusted sender" and this led to no results.

Solution I have thought out :
Get a VPS and transfer my email there to have a new hosting (problem with shared hosting is we share IP with multiple other people).

Thank you all for your time,

David

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi David,

Yes, getting your own server and putting yourself in control of your email reputation should be a fix for this problem. We recommend LuxSci.

Several members have recently posted that Hotmail is not accepting from the Godaddy shared relays anymore because of their poor reputation.

Apparently Godaddy has too many customers abusing the shared relays to send spam. Here are links to some of the recent discussions on this topic:

Problems sending from my email account (GoDaddy hosted) to hotmail/outlook.com

Email not being received by hotmail users

Hotmail Not Accepting Emails From My Domain

David Morneau

New Email
I have another question for you :
I have about 12 domains with emails on my godaddy account.
How easy will the transfer be to another service (or in other words, will I have to go in all my customers offices and set up their mailing system).

Thank you again

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi David,

There are a few pieces to this including:
  • What settings are they using in their email clients?
  • If they're IMAP and don't have their email downloaded you'll need the existing email & folders transferred to the new hosting company
If they have Godaddy server names in their email clients you'll need those replaced with the names for the new company, or transition them to names within their domains that will be more portable now and in the future. For example, imap.secureserver.net vs imap.their-domain.com.

You'll need to figure out what works best for existing email. Maybe that means download with POP3 and create new profiles for IMAP at the new host. Maybe that means copy to local folders. Maybe that means copy to the new service with something like the IMAP Tools so you don't need to worry about how users are managing to save their existing email.

There will probably be more questions after you think about this some more. Don't forget to drop the TTL's in their zone files before the migration if you plan on using DNS changes to cut your users over from the old server to the new server.

Also, to manage the support load, I recommend moving them one at a time and not trying to move them all in the same night. Even with a solid plan, some mail programs might not handle the change gracefully resulting in duplicate emails or user error such as deleting an existing profile causing email to be lost.

unlocktheinbox

Unlock The Inbox
Yes, I agree if you're emailing, using a shared IP is not a good thing. Take Popowich advice, do the move slowly, get a VPS (Just don't go with 1&1 hosting or godaddy) - Talk to that new hosting company and make sure they don't relay your mail also make sure they don't have any restrictions in DNS that will prevent you from adding PTR records and TXT records that contain an "_" (like 1&1 hosting does).

Once you get a new VPS - Try to get one with a 30 day money back guarantee and test our your new email solution. You can test the email using this: Email configuration tester

You want a clean test where you have no critical error - If you can't get a clean test with the new host provider because they prevent or have restrictions in place that stops you from configuring your email server properly, then cancel that VPS subscription and move on to the next one until you find one that satisfy your needs.

Once you find one that works and passes all tests, then migrate the lowest volume customer over, iron out the problems get the game plan down and start migrating the others one by one. Everything doesn't have to be done in a day.

Last edited:

David Morneau

New Email
Hello, I have a question concerning the migration.

So I want to transfer my emails to a blue host mail server (I read mail exchange was good, but my customer doesn't want to use that).
What are the steps to migrating my mails from my current server to a new server.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If you really want to use BlueHost, I have a link for them too (if you don't mind) - Sign up for BlueHost

I do not recommend BlueHost though. They have frequent outages. There are a lot of people, especially affiliates that run WordPress sites that started there for the cheap hosting. The outages are too frequent and sometimes lasted over 48 hours. I have 1 client still there and they only use it as cheap hosting for a few email domains they don't care about but they want to keep online and they require lots of storage. It's nice since they could get more storage there than a registrar like godaddy gives away for free with domain purchases.

I recommend LuxSci Email Hosting if you want stable email hosting with great technical support.

Either way, to answer your question about migrating email accounts, the script I use is IMAP Copy. Are you comfortable running perl scripts from a Linux server?

David Morneau

New Email
Hello Popowich, do you have a simpler tool that is more user friendly. If so what is it? A kind of "copy my mail tool" where I can just transfer my stuff easily.
Thank you,

David

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi David,

I uploaded an old page we used to have for this purpose. It's a web frontend for some of the IMAP Tools.

Here is the link - Copy My Mail - IMAP Copy service

I think I fixed most of the links to work for the new site URL.

Please let me know if you think the "Copy My Mail" service is useful for this purpose.

:thanks: