Help with email forwards project!

Discussion in 'Mail Server Support' started by equser27, Apr 23, 2015.

1. equser27

equser27 New Email

Apr 23, 2015
    Congrats on this successful forum.
    I see you have huge experience in email related tech, so I seek your advice on my requirement.

Consider I am providing a design & hosting solution to a Fastfood chain for their fan site. They need to let consumers create an email address which will just be a forwarder. It will be 1 main site such as, and it will have 20+ domain options such as, {domains similar to} etc... where the visitor can create his email such as

To do such an exercise, these are some options I think I can use:
    1. Use an API with the registrar for realtime creation of email fwds
    (Good: Maybe easiest. Bad: Registrar may not allow unlimited email fwds, Long term not stable)
    2. Use a Server with every consumer landing on 1 website (domain) & create realtime fwd addresses
    on multiple domains that are pointed to this server
    3. Use a Server with every consumer landing on the multiple individual domains &
    create realtime fwd addresses on those specific domains
    (Being not too technical, I guess if #2 is possible, then #3 may not have much of an advantage)
    4. Use a mail company like fastmail/pobox/mxserver to accomplish this
    5. Anything I don't know yet : )

Would like you to please suggest which will be the best approach &
    then what exactly should be the MX on each of the domains so I can hire a programmer and get started with the entire operation.

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Aug 12, 2008

The proposed forwards system could have a lot of problems with being marked as spam unless you take action to make sure email is handled in a way that, for example, an email From: Gmail through a forward hosted by you then delivered to a Hotmail account isn't marked as spam by Hotmail because it came from you instead of the Gmail service mail servers.

For #1 check out the Mailgun API w/ Rackspace. I'm not sure if their hosting meets all of your requirements.

For #2 it's easy to build a scalable solution within AWS. If you are interested in hiring me as a consultant please connect with me on LinkedIn.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

3. equser27

equser27 New Email

Apr 23, 2015
    Thanks popowich!
    The SPAM point is well noted.
    I'm going to read more on the Mailgun API
    As far as hiring as a consultant, I look forward to studying this a bit further in detail and then get back when appropriate.

Thanks again & would love it if other experts can chip in.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.