Help, so worried

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by help123, Dec 11, 2010.

1. help123

help123 New Email

I have been having problems with a weirdo guy and 2 days ago, I tried to log into my account. It went straight to an info box stating I should click cancel to avoid paying again! I noticed when I went to sign in that there was a password on it but it was not mine as it didn't have enough characters. He seemed to be very good at computers. I let him borrow my notebook for college and I am not sure if he was able to access my account. I am so upset about it because I have hundreds of private emails from friends and family. I tried to change the password and it still made no difference when I went to log in, the same information about clicking on cancel came up. How can I get into my account? I tried to contact hotmail, but the number that comes up is no use to me as I am now in Moscow. I am from the uk. I seem to have changed the password, but when I try to use it, the same information comes up. How can I stop this guy from actually accessing this account? I have such important information on it, but I just want the account blocked unless he can do something to change that

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

I don't think it is wrong of you to be concerned, especially if they are a bit whippy and decent with computers. How long ago did you loan them the computer? Is it possible for you to do a system restore back to a point before you let them borrow the notebook? Do a spyware scan of your computer with a couple programs before doing anything else. I use spybot, stopzilla, malwarebytes, and superantispyware. After that is done, if you can not do a system restore, can you create a new account for logging into your Windows? Change all of your passwords and account reset information (alternate email addresses, security questions & answers, etc). What exactly are you seeing on your screen? Can you take a screen shot and post it?

3. help123

help123 New Email

Honestly, I know less than nothing about computers, I don't even know what a screen shot is! It took me an hour to work through the password changes. He borrowed the notebook about 5 weeks ago. I think he downloaded all my stuff on a usb because I asked him if he had my USB and he said No, but I know he took it. What is really strange though is that there seems to be a password in the box beneath my account name and I never did this. After he started calling me, I changed my password and always signed in, I never kept the password saved yet one seems to be there. I am so worried, I just have no idea what to do. I don't understand why it asks me to retry but click on cancel to avoid paying for something because I have not bought anything. How do you think he may have done it?

4. help123

help123 New Email

I am sure this person has hacked into my hotmail account. How can I stop it? Even if I cannot access it, I just so desperately want him to be unable to access my account although I am worried he has downloaded all the details anyway by now

5. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hello,

Everything underlined above is a clickable link with more information and directions :)

You can start by changing your Hotmail password - https://account.live.com/password/reset

Next you will want to change your alternate email address - http://www.emailquestions.com/hotmail/1503-add-change-alternate-e-mail-address.html

Last, a security scan of your computer. Since they had physical access to it you might want to create a new login for yourself on your computer. If you can backup your documents, pictures, music, and any other important files it might not be a bad idea to find someone local who can help you reinstall Windows on your notebook if you really think your computer can no longer be trusted.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.