Gmail Implements HTML5 Desktop Notifications

Discussion in 'Gmail' started by Big Dan, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Big Dan

Big Dan EQ Forum Moderator Staff Member

This isn't such a big deal for people me who already run Google Talk or Thunderbird for Gmail notifications but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Desktop notifications for emails and chat messages - Official Gmail Blog

Right now it seems to only work in Chrome. I've been using Chrome more and more this might be a reason to make the switch 100%.

2. Big Dan

For some reason this isn't working for me. I sent myself a couple of test emails. They showed in my inbox but the notice didn't pop up. Both with Chrome maximized and minimized. Strange.

Edit:

Scratch that I had to give approval to Gmail in Chrome. Funny I didn't see the notice with the first couple of test messages though.

3. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

I'll check it out. I've had the same problem where I get a Gmail Chat but I'm not in front of the compute and don't notice it until the next time I check my email. It's worth noting that when you get a chat and you use Firefox I am notified by the text change in the system bar between the start button and system tray on my desktop.

4. Big Dan

I turn off Chat on iGoogle and Gmail by default. Only because I have 10-20 tabs open and never see the new message notice.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.