emails being deleted from server

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by steve keim, Aug 6, 2014.

1. steve keim

steve keim New Email

I have a galaxy note 2 smartphone with k-9, a Samsung verizon tablet with k-9, and a laptop with Outlook 2013 using windows 8.1.

My settings on the Outlook are:

POP3 in-bound: pop-server.triad.rr.com (port 110)
    outbound: smtp-server.triad.rr.com (port 587) (requires auth.)

I have set this at: "the leave a copy of the email on the server"

I have emails that do not get to either k-9 mail because, when I check it on the webmail (mail.twc.com or webmail.triad.rr.com) it has already disappeared, and only is visible on my Outlook.

I have had ckeim@triad.rr.com for about 10 years, moved from TWC in NC down to FL (Brighthouse) with no problem about 3 years ago, but now am having nightmarish issues with "randomly" disappearing emails-- sometimes every few minutes, sometimes only after a day or so.

Microsoft, Brighthouse, Time Warner Cable, Verizon have been completely unable to help me with this. Any thoughts?

2. rfs9999

rfs9999 IMAP Tools

I don't have any specific knowledge of your situation but in my experience as an E-mail administrator the problem you are describing has almost always turned to be caused by a POP client fetching and deleting messages from your account.

Your Verizon support team ought to be able to search their POP server logs to see if a POP client is deleting messages from your account. If you were one of my customers that's the first place I would look.

Of course when you call in the first-line help agents rarely have access to server logs so you are going to have to escalate the issue until you reach someone who can check the POP logs.

-Rick

3. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

If you can get the password changed (last I checked you could do it from their webmail ) that would help rule out a mail program or compromised account.

4. steve keim

steve keim New Email

Rick,

Thanks for the insight. Not sure what to do with this info since "My Verizon Support Team" is very hard to find. No one in the stores have information-- they are just motivated to sell "Tech help" which I bought and got nowhere with them on the phone after hours of conversation.

Having said that, I will ask that search the POP server logs and find the problem... I assume once it is found that I will be able to do something about it!

I really appreciate your taking the time to aim me in the right direction!

Steve

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.