email catch all

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
What was your reason for not using catchalls?
I was asked earlier today why I do not like catch all functionality for email domains.

First some pros:

• users do not need to worry about typos
  • users do not need to create multiple forwards
My starting list of cons:

• users will receive more spam
  • the incoming mail server(s) for the domain need more CPU to filter the additional spam that is accepted
  • Catchall functionality breaks some ISP functionality including valid recipient checking
We can let this discussion add more pros and cons as we go, but I'm generally not a fan of catchalls.

I do like extended email addresses such as the username+anything@gmail.com, which are essentially the same thing.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Why the conflict with myself? Probably becuase catchalls are something I usually need to be the one to fix the fallout from. It's pain for the mail server support teams. In the case of Gmail it's not my problem to deal with.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Why the conflict with myself? Probably becuase catchalls are something I usually need to be the one to fix the fallout from. It's pain for the mail server support teams. In the case of Gmail it's not my problem to deal with.

That what I used to do. Dump everything into Gmail. It helps sometimes for instance Wordpress automatically emails from wordpress@domain.com sometimes it' s good just to setup.

I'm probably going to setup my catch-alls again. :)