e-mail bounce backs

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by sherihgold, Jan 19, 2010.

1. sherihgold

sherihgold New Email

several folks are getting their e-mails sent to me bounced backed to them with the following windows/hotmail message "permanent failure....004_mail rejected_by_windows_live_hotmail_for_policy_reasons._a block_has_been_placed_against_your_IP_address...because we have receivedcomplainst concerning mail coming from the IP address."

i have no idea what this means. i've had the same hotmail address for years-haven't changed anything. and the folks sending me these e-mails are not new senders to me. how do i fix this? thx

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hello,

The error seems to indicate that either Hotmail does not like email from the ISP's your contacts are sending from, or maybe that you created a filter that is accidentally blocking email from your contacts.

What are some of the domains your contacts are sending from for example @yahoo.com ? Last I heard Hotmail was blocking email from Yahoo Small Business Customers :

http://www.emailquestions.com/help-desk/1530-yahoo-outbound-mail-servers-blacklisted-hotmail.html

Have you made any changes to your filters recently? Try adding some of the contacts so your safe senders list :

http://www.emailquestions.com/hotmail/1086-add-contact-your-safe-senders-list-hotmail.html

:welcome: to Email Questions! -Raymond

3. sherihgold

sherihgold New Email

i haven't changed anything. at least 2 of the senders are bellsouth.net users. and some of their e-mails come through, but not others. do not understand the inconsistency. thx for helping

4. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hello,

Can you have one of your contacts send an email to example@emailquestions.com ?

Please have them use the subject: e-mail bounce backs

I'll take a look at their full headers and see if their outgoing mail servers are blacklisted.

-Raymond :thanks:

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.