Confused about Outlook archives

Supersadie

New Email
I have changed an Outlook2010 email account from IMAP to POP.
I have an archive that contains email from that account and also from a couple of others. If I delete my old IMAP account, what will happen to the archived messages from the IMAP account?

I keep getting conflicting advice.

All my pst files, including archive, are in folders on my computer, but I guess that doesn't mean they are 'locally' held and independent of the server.

Hope someone understands what I mean!

Best wishes and thanks.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

I recently had this same problem / concern.

Try this - Aid4Mail - IMAP to PST Email Migration and Backups

If you create a PST backup of your IMAP account you can safely remove that account from Microsoft Outlook and attach the PST as needed to get back the emails that were in that IMAP inbox and folders.

Is the "archive" a collection of email in your IMAP folders or the Microsoft Outlook archive function?

If it's IMAP you should be covered by the above, if it's Outlook's built in archiving mechanism you'll want to play it safe and make a backup of your PST files including a file you might have called archive.pst before deleting the IMAP profile from your configuration.

Last edited:

Supersadie

New Email
Not sure how to answer your question really.
I had two imap folders and one pop. I've actually taken the plunge and created a new pop for one of the imaps.
The archive has been handled by autoarchive and as the inbox for the imap account got bigger I started to manually archive stuff into the archive box.
The archive box contains everything from the three accounts so I've started moving it into personal accounts according to various criteria. All a bit laborious. Anyway, point is, I have various pst folders - archive, outlook, imap account, new pop account. Outlook pst contains the other imap account and my personal pop account (I had no hand in dividing everything up like this, Outlook did it on installation!)
I can just copy the archive folder to the desktop as a backup. If that's a good idea...
??