Can't send emails

T Rose

New Email
Hi

Today I can't send emails, yesterday and the preceeding many years I could. I haven't changed anything, in fact I wouldn't know what to change. I'm still receiving emails just can't send them.

This is the error message:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'XXXXXXX.X@ntlworld.com'. Subject 'Re: Fees', Account: 'XXXXXX', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '555 Invalid email address.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 555, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Can anyone shed any light? I typed this into Google and there was a discussion but it got a bit technical.

Grateful thanks to all.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

If your ntlworld.com mail service is not working, and getting the error "555 Invalid email address" when sending From: an ntlworld.com email address, there are a couple likely options:

• Their service is broken and will start working later (be patient)
  • You are using the wrong server settings configuration (see below)
  • Your account has been disabled/terminated
It appears that at some point Virgin Media acquired ntlworld.com mail services.

I see that you are using port 25. Their online doc recommends port 465.

If you need help changing the settings please let us know what mail program you are using.

If changing the port number in your mail program doesn't fix the problem I recommend calling Virgin Media customer service using this information:

"Call us on 150 from your Virgin Media home phone or on 0845 454 1111* from any other phone."

Please let us know what the fix for the problem was so that others with the same problem can find the answer.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

T Rose

New Email
Hi Popowich

Thank you for your speedy response. I will change the port to 465 and see if it works.

If it doesn't I'll change it back and wait a day.

If still not working on Monday I'll contact Virgin Media and see what help they can give.

I'll post an update when I've got it working.

thanks again.