Can't send emails from my account

Maarten

New Email
I have recently bought a new computer, upgrading from windows & to 8.1 as I went.
Ever since i can not send emails from my hotmail account. I just keep getting Postmaster delivery status notices back.
This has been going on for some days now and i don't know what to do.
1 I only use hotmail through hotmail.com
2 The exact message reads:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed
[reciepients]
3 I experience the problem in firefox, IE and on my android Phone

Ive posted this with microsoft, but they have been unable to help me, as well as the service desk....
cant send emails to anyone - Microsoft Community

If someone knows, please help me because I have no clue what to do..

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Maarten,

Can you post the exact error message that you are receiving?

I see that you mentioned "delivery to the following recipients failed" but there should be more to the message around their email addresses.

Are all of the email addresses listed the same as the addresses you tried to email?

If needed, I'll start a private conversation with you to ask for their email address so I can see what's going on without you needing to post it publicly.

Maarten

New Email
Hi thanks for your fast reply.

I'm aware that there should be more, but there isn't. All the gibberishh that usually follows isn't there. That is the exact and total message.

It comes with an .eml attachment, but that's all.
the same occurs for all recipients.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Can you post a screen shot?

Are you open to doing a screen share with Team Viewer so you can watch me check the bounce messages and double check your settings for signs of a compromised account?

The bounces in .eml format are strange and suspicious to me.

Maarten

New Email
I wouldn't mind at all, but I'm not able to right now. I'll get back to you, hopefully tomorrow and otherwise friday! Let me know what suits you! I really appreciate the help!

Maarten

New Email
upload_2015-5-28_6-30-41.png

Last edited by a moderator:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Your address appears to be valid:

rcpt to:<maartensmit3@hotmail.com>
250 maartensmit3@hotmail.com

It does not return any kind of permanent error such as "501 Invalid Address" or a temporary 4xx smtp error code.

When you email yourself do you get the good email too and the bounce or only the bounce message?

I'm still available to do the team viewer and help you check your settings tomorrow.

Maarten

New Email
Hi I would be available for the team viewer thing tomorrow from 18:00 est+1 (Amsterdam).

I don't get the original email, just the bounce

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
This problem has been fixed. The sending was not working because there were duplicate account settings for the email address:

The section in red had the same account listed twice. I deleted the "Send Only" version of the settings. The third account listed under the red box was a different email address and no changes made.

Outlook Duplicate Account Settings.JPG