can't attach a picture from within windows viewer

leeshafer

New Email
i used to have the ability,in my old system 32 bit windows 7,to attach and send a picture from the windows viewer but now,after a crash,i have a 64 bit windows 7 ultimate and everything is better except for this wierd error message"you do not have mail program installed etc-it's quite well known in the win 7 forums but the standard answer suggests that you can't do this with aol-but i have for years. i have my default set correctly but maybe not. can anyone help? lee

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
There appear to be some Firefox plugins available that provide this feature. Did you use a plugin to make AOL the default mailto: handler on your old computer?

leeshafer

New Email
yes but here's what i did- i go to downloads and click on a cd i've downloaded which has cover art,click on e.g. front cover. that brings up the picture within the viewer--i used to just click that email option at the top and my aol mail would open up and i'd be able to email it to my friend who makes cool paper sleeves for me. but no it just gives me that error message about "there is no email program etc. i don't know how what i have going on in chrome would matter but i did try that and still no luck. i can bring up write mail,click attach and navigate to the artwork and attach and send but it pisses me off that something i used to be able to do has disappeared. thanks though lee

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Aha! You need the Operating System / Desktop default and not the web browser default mailto updated.

Use the Default Programs and "Set your default programs" to update the default program associated with your Mail:

Windows 8.1 Default Programs.jpg

Do you have the AOL desktop software installed? Do you need help making that an option available in the Mail defaults?

leeshafer

New Email
do i choose aol desktop or aolfile_htm ? i tried aol desktop but when i click set this program it doesn't seem to stay in that pane-if i back out and try to set a default again the aol is not visible inside that pane as having been chosen. do i have to shut down and restart for it to take effect? of course i do have aol installed and never used any other. i am supposed to teach my computer that i use aol for mail right?