cableone - google vs synacor vs my own mail server

Kram

New Email
Hey quick question, I or my family has cableone email accounts and for the longest their service was great. At one point they moved their email services to Google, and even though I did not like my personal stuff being on gmail the service was okay. Then Google kicked them off their systems and cableone started using Synacor to host their email services. From day one the amount of spam has made it almost impossible to use my once clean email accounts. I’ve lived with it for the past 2 years, however today I found out my accounts had been locked due to spam being sent from them. I had been complaining to them for the past two years with no results or call backs. So my question to you is, do you know of a service or site that you trust in servicing your personal email accounts? What’s funny in all this, my gmail account I use for internet blogs, github, etc doesn’t get any spam except for what I’ve signed up for. I really don’t want to move my personal stuff to gmail, I’d rather find something more secure.

Kram

New Email
Sorry, another question. Is it possible to set up my own email server / domain locally at home? I have a pi farm, a cluster of raspberry pi’s that I host a few test sites on. If that’s possible, who do you recommend to register a domain with?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I use Gmail for most of my personal mail. I think it’s wrong to say they’re not secure. At best it’s some combination of they scan email to display advertising, and there is limited support for the free email accounts, which can be a disaster if your account gets hacked.

If you’re willing to pay a little bit monthly for email with great tech support I recommend LuxSci | Sign up

I use Godaddy for my domain registrations. Register domain name with Godaddy

Hosting email at home could be problematic or not possible for a couple reasons. Does your ISP block port 25? When sending, you’ll need an outgoing relay to use since many email providers will block email that’s being sent directly from residential IP space, assuming you’re not blocked from sending in the first place.

Kram

New Email
I asked Cableone if they could provide me the details on why or what caused their systems to flag my accounts for spamming. My password could not have been hacked, and I’ve taught my wife how to recognize spam and what not to do etc. I was wondering if their flaging my pi’s that forward my security system info to my phones etc. I have one set up as a relay server.