account hacked

Barbara4832

New Email
my account has been hacked. I have changed my password several times, but he now has my contact list. Recently my friend received this email. It has my name be next is where he sent it from. Is there a way I can stop this? Sometimes they say I have been in an accident and ask for money.

Sent: Wed, Apr 29, 2015 5:37 am
Subject: From: Barbara xxxx

Hi! How are you?
Have you seen this {link removed} before? Oprah had been using it for over a year!
Barbara xxxx

Thank you, Barbara4832

Last edited by a moderator:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Barbara,

I see that bonaventure.edu publishes a strict SPF record stating that email is only expected to be sent From: their domain using the Office 365 academic service. That's great!

If you are interested in protecting your account from unauthorized access, ask your university email support department if multi-factor authentication can be enabled for your account.

The multi-factor authentication would require that you type in your password AND something else such as a code sent sent by call/text to your phone, or use an app such as Google Authenticator when logging in

Do you know how your account was compromised? Any chance you clicked a link in a phishing email claiming to be from support resulting in you typing your password into a 3rd party web site?

It's also possible it's not your account, but an account of someone who has your address and some of the same contacts in their address book that was compromised.

If the spam is being sent using your From: address but not the Office 365 servers many other email service providers should be marking it as spam.

Last edited by a moderator: