There's no way to reclaim the message in your Gmail account, AFAIK
, so your
account is safe. But Hotmail does have a deleted message recovery option. So if your contact knows about that feature, he could use it to get the message back. But I'm not sure what kind of a time frame is involved. Maybe the deleted messages are no longer recoverable after a week or month ?
Since you say you "watched" him delete the message, I take it you know him well enough to see him face-to-face easily. ?? My suggestion would be to see him again, have him go into his Hotmail account and check on the deleted folder page, I believe, for a link to restore messages. If the email with the sensitive information comes back, then I'd probably do the following (though I can't be sure this would work; it's a guess):
1. Leave the newly recovered email in whatever folder it shows up in (deleted messages ? inbox ?).
2. Go into his settings and change it to not
allow recovery of messages.
3. Log out of Hotmail. Log back in.
4. Go to the message you recovered.
5. Delete it again and empty the deleted items folder.
6. Log out Hotmail. Log back in.
7. Go to Settings and re-activate the option to restore deleted messages.
8. Go to the deleted message folder and click the link to restore messages and see if the message comes back once again. If not, you can be fairly confident it's gone and he will only be able to recover messages from then on
. If it does
come back, you'll have to contact someone at the official Hotmail forums to ask how to make sure that message can be really unrecoverable.