Email Questions  
     

Left Nav Register Home Forum Email Directory Email Marketing Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Email Questions » Email Forums » ISP and Free Email Support Forums » Hotmail


Hotmail Windows Live Hotmail help and support forum

Deleted mail in trash can

Hotmail


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Saturday, January 28th, 2012   #1
New Email
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Deleted mail in trash can

Hi.

By a mistake I sent some sensitive information to a contact of mine. I contacted the guy and meet up with him to make sure that he deleted the mail. I watched him delted the mail from his inbox and from his trashcan, can the guy still get the mail back then? He was using a hotmail account and was using his cell phone. Not sure what browser he used sorry. The mail was sent from a gmail account with a firefox browser. The mail is also delted from from my mail (both sent mail and trash can).

Thanks in advance.
NewZealand85 is offline   Reply With Quote



Old Sunday, January 29th, 2012   #2
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Deleted mail in trash can

Quote:
View Post
Hi.

By a mistake I sent some sensitive information to a contact of mine. I contacted the guy and meet up with him to make sure that he deleted the mail. I watched him delted the mail from his inbox and from his trashcan, can the guy still get the mail back then? He was using a hotmail account and was using his cell phone. Not sure what browser he used sorry. The mail was sent from a gmail account with a firefox browser. The mail is also delted from from my mail (both sent mail and trash can).

Thanks in advance.
You have done all you possibly can in this matter. It is rather doubtful if the email can be retrieved. Let it go and move on.

MJS
milojstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sunday, January 29th, 2012   #3
Valued Member
 
foggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 266
Thanks: 37
Thanked 128 Times in 108 Posts
Default Re: Deleted mail in trash can

There's no way to reclaim the message in your Gmail account, AFAIK, so your account is safe. But Hotmail does have a deleted message recovery option. So if your contact knows about that feature, he could use it to get the message back. But I'm not sure what kind of a time frame is involved. Maybe the deleted messages are no longer recoverable after a week or month ?

Since you say you "watched" him delete the message, I take it you know him well enough to see him face-to-face easily. ?? My suggestion would be to see him again, have him go into his Hotmail account and check on the deleted folder page, I believe, for a link to restore messages. If the email with the sensitive information comes back, then I'd probably do the following (though I can't be sure this would work; it's a guess):

1. Leave the newly recovered email in whatever folder it shows up in (deleted messages ? inbox ?).
2. Go into his settings and change it to not allow recovery of messages.
3. Log out of Hotmail. Log back in.
4. Go to the message you recovered.
5. Delete it again and empty the deleted items folder.
6. Log out Hotmail. Log back in.
7. Go to Settings and re-activate the option to restore deleted messages.
8. Go to the deleted message folder and click the link to restore messages and see if the message comes back once again. If not, you can be fairly confident it's gone and he will only be able to recover messages from then on. If it does come back, you'll have to contact someone at the official Hotmail forums to ask how to make sure that message can be really unrecoverable.
foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggy For This Useful Post:
popowich (Tuesday, January 31st, 2012)
Old Sunday, January 29th, 2012   #4
New Email
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Deleted mail in trash can

Quote:
not [/I]allow recovery of messages.
3. Log out of Hotmail. Log back in.
4. Go to the message you recovered.
5. Delete it again and empty the deleted items folder.
6. Log out Hotmail. Log back in.
7. Go to Settings and re-activate the option to restore deleted messages.
8. Go to the deleted message folder and click the link to restore messages and see if the message comes back once again. If not, you can be fairly confident it's gone and he will only be able to recover messages from then on. If it does come back, you'll have to contact someone at the official Hotmail forums to ask how to make sure that message can be really unrecoverable.
Step nr 1 that you suggested is not possible because the mail is already deleted, so I guess that I should just do step 1 then? I will contact the guy tomorrow and have it done.

What if he did reclaim it he then could have downloaded it (its a 700 pages document btw) to his computer/cell phone and then deleted it from the mail. How can I check wether it is in his computer or cell phone/check wether he has downloaded it or not? I never see him at school with a laptop. He's either on his cell phone or at the school computers.

Thanks
NewZealand85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday, January 31st, 2012   #5
Postmaster
 
popowich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,956
Thanks: 855
Thanked 635 Times in 597 Posts
Default Re: Deleted mail in trash can

Hi NewZealand85,

I agree that you have made a best effort in trying to get the email deleted.

An additional alternative to be aware of is that the person could have forwarded / saved / loaded the email on the cell phone or another device before you watched them delete it.

This is a good lesson in double checking your screen before pushing the send button.

to Email Questions!
__________________

Register today to ask an email question in our email forums. Do you need urgent help? We offer Live Email Support!
popowich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday, January 31st, 2012   #6
Valued Member
 
foggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 266
Thanks: 37
Thanked 128 Times in 108 Posts
Default Re: Deleted mail in trash can

Quote:
View Post
Step nr 1 that you suggested is not possible because the mail is already deleted, so I guess that I should just do step 1 then? I will contact the guy tomorrow and have it done.
Hi,

Sorry, that sounds a little confusing to me.

Anyway, yes, I realize the message is "already deleted," but since you were asking about whether it could be recovered or not, I was suggesting a course of action to determine that. By going to see the guy and watching him access his Hotmail account, you'd be able to see (at the bottom of the deleted items folder) whether there is a link allowing him to reclaim deleted/emptied messages. By then clicking that link he & you would see whether the message that you want gone-for-good has been restored to his account or not (either in the inbox or the trash folder).

If -- repeat: IF -- that process does, in fact, recover the message you want permanently gone, that's when I would go through the steps I mentioned. (As noted, it's only a suggestion to go through those steps to see if, after all that, your message is finally permanently deleted and unrecoverable by the guy via his Hotmail account.)

Anyway, let us know what you try and what happens !
foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggy For This Useful Post:
popowich (Tuesday, January 31st, 2012)
Old Wednesday, February 8th, 2012   #7
Postmaster
 
popowich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,956
Thanks: 855
Thanked 635 Times in 597 Posts
Default Re: Deleted mail in trash can

One more sneaky thing I thought of is that the person could have taken screen shots of the information so that it could be hidden somewhere else while their devices and email programs were being checked by you.
__________________

Register today to ask an email question in our email forums. Do you need urgent help? We offer Live Email Support!
popowich is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deleted, mail, trash

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sent mail deleted sami shaikh Help Desk 1 Monday, October 11th, 2010 01:45 PM
Can I find an email after it has been deleted from the trash folder? popowich AOL 0 Monday, September 20th, 2010 07:49 AM
Trash Folder carolyn Help Desk 1 Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 08:30 PM
Can i restore deleted emails that were deleted last week? popowich AOL 0 Thursday, April 8th, 2010 01:25 PM
Deleted mail popowich AOL 0 Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 08:25 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 PM.


vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.