Wednesday, November 18th, 2009
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Thanked 641 Times in 603 Posts
How to troubleshoot AOL email account problems
From time to time AOL Mail members report problems with their accounts loading to a blank page, not being able to open a mail folder, or getting web browser timeouts. There are several troubleshooting steps that you can take to resolve this problem. Some solutions are based on fixing a problem reaching or logging into webmail.aol.com, while others are aimed at fixing a spyware or virus problem on your local computer and are unrelated to the service upgrades. Please try all of the steps below, in order, until one of them works for you. As time passes the usefulness of the steps below will change. When one of the solutions below fixes a problem for you please reply and let us know which step helped you so we can keep the most helpful troubleshooting steps at the top of the list. Thank you.
- Login at http://webmail.aol.com
- Force a page refresh. While holding down the control key on your keyboard hit the F5 key.
- Upgrade your Adobe Flash player.
- Clear your web browser cache.
- Make sure cookies are enabled and clear your cookies.
- Internet Explorer Users: Restore the default web browser security levels.
- If you use Internet Explorer try using Mozilla Firefox instead. Download and install the latest Firefox and then use Firefox to go to webmail.aol.com
- Check your Anti-Virus software and make sure it is up to date. If you do not have an anti-virus program I recommend installing Avast personal edition.
- Update and run your anti-spyware program. If you do not have a program that checks your computer for spyware I recommend installing, updating, and running a full scan of your computer with Spybot S&D and StopZilla.
- Do you have other security/firewall software installed such as Zone Alarm or Defender Pro. Try downloading and installing the latest version. If you already have the current version try reinstalling it.
- Reset your web browser privacy and security settings to the defaults.
- If you use Internet Explorer, download and reinstall the latest version of Internet Explorer. After upgrading / reinstalling Internet Explorer, try going to Hotmail.com and see if you can login.
- Instead of using your ISP's DNS servers use the OpenDNS servers.
- Sometimes AOL is the problem, try waiting an hour and try to login again by going to webmail.aol.com
- You probably tried already, but if not, try rebooting your computer.
If you are having a different Hotmail problem that is not related to logging in please create a new thread in our AOL Mail Support Forum